Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Terrible Seven

I am so so so so so so EXCITED! :) Tomorrow I will have my own little midwestern cheering section--at least seven people that are from Henderson County are going to be here for the game and I am pumped :).

But don't worry, those aren't the Terrible Seven. The Terrible Seven is a description of my new personal challenge that you can feel welcome in joining me on tackling. These are the Terrible Seven:
  1. Uhh
  2. Umm
  3. Like
  4. You know
  5. Yeah
  6. I mean
  7. So
These little words have been pointed out to me as detrimental to one's speech. My challenge to myself and to you is to be cognizant of these seven words and to the avoid them as much as possible in daily vocabulary. I was astonished once I started listening for them how often I heard them and how I often I said them. Don't use the words as fillers--it actually sounds...well, not good. One businessman I know said he learned in a workshop it is actually better to be silent when you are thinking midway through a sentence and pause, rather than to say "ummm".

Best wishes in not being driven nuts by this challenge--it definitely adds a little entertainment to one's day!

Enjoy your Thursday, take care and God bless! (It's almost FRIDAY!!)

O&O,

M

P.S. So much for the snow--we may have received an inch of accumulation, if that; and by this afternoon most of that will have melted. I'm okay with that--good weather is perfectly fine for this weekend :).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But without those seven words, David Mamet wouldn't have a career! : )

Kaisaac said...

Exactly! Think before you speak! Isn't it annoying to find your every fault, though? But, it is healthy to be your own worst critic and give an account of every careless word that you have spoken, now.(Rather than later)