Over the last two months I have spent many days in a variety of classrooms filling in as a substitute teacher in my own hometown school district of West Central. From Pre K to high school P.E. to 4th grade and math classes to middle school and lunch duty, I have had the privilege of seeing just how vital a role the teachers in our district play in the day to day lives of students of all ages. Many have asked if I would like to have a career in education...in some ways the answers are simple to the questions behind that question: do I enjoy working with children? Absolutely. Do I enjoy the team atmosphere of a school building? 100%. Do I enjoy the school day, rhythm, activities, and overall general calendar set up? Yes. Do I enjoy the learning process and helping students to understand something better than they have before? Yes. Would I enjoy teaching?
Who knows :) because when I am asked which age level I enjoy the most or which subject, I have not a clue. So, for right now during this season of life I will fully enjoy the opportunity to explore whatever adventures may arise during this next month at home before I head off to Cameroon to work with youth there for a month.
Perhaps it is from my own educational experience and memories of recess and ISpy books, multiplication times tests and memorizing spelling words, or the fact that I still see numerous teachers from my past all over my community continuing to make a difference in the lives of young people, but I know for sure my feelings have only grown: teachers--whether in a public school, private school, home school, Sunday school, Awana club, youth group, or any other number of places education takes place including the playing fields and courts--are superheroes. Education is a treasure trove of information to help us navigate the world. Let us show our appreciation for any of the great teachers we had along our own journeys by continuing to value the education of our youth as highly as they valued us.
Here's to adventures in learning,
M
No comments:
Post a Comment