Friday, October 16, 2009

We Are But Mere Mortals...

...that can and do and will fail. More than once. And even when we don't expect it. But my observation today? What might make Harvy Harvy is this: many students here--the best in their class, elite people from across the country--are failing or have failed or will more than likely fail at something. BUT these same kids, instead of giving up and going home are turning into fighters. They (we) want to succeed and they are going to dig in and fight in order to do this. "I just bombed my test," isn't a sentence that buys a plane ticket home; it means getting tutors, staying in and studying, and learning to not panic.

Speaking of panic. I was talking to my parents about this. So many times when our environment or situation is completely changed, we automatically panic, no matter how confident we may have been in our abilities up until that point. For example, back home I felt really confident when I stepped out onto the basketball court. I knew I could hit those clutch free throws. Once I stepped into the gym here, I instantly panicked. Instead of dropping back a few steps, my initial instinct was to revert all the way back to zero. Bad mistake. So one of the first things I did was take half an hour to figure out the court and the ball and make it familiar--until I could make ten free throws in a row. Now that same strategy is coming into play with school. I was very confident in my ability to write well back home. Here my first philosophy paper was all over the place because I panicked and went back to throwing together gibberish to try to reach a word count. But now with the third paper, it's like a light bulb went off, "Ohhh, I still do know how to make an outline and a chart, and I do know how to organize my thoughts into a logical order!"

So we learn and we get beaten down and get back up; we struggle and we fight and we sometimes conquer; but we must always remember, we are mere mortals--no matter what life throws at us, our eyes have to be trained on the ultimate goal and finish line. It is to our Father in Heaven to whom we owe our lives; and it is for him that the fight in this life is worth it. Some day, oh that blessed day, when all we have worked for is celebrated by one simple sentence: "Well done good and faithful servant."

What a day that will be! So to all who read this: don't give up, don't give in, and remember to whom we belong (right Mom? haha).

Enjoy the day, attack the lines, break it down to what you know, and believe that you can do all things through Christ who strengthens you (even survive failing a test).

First day of practice is today (so this is kind of a pep talk for myself!) and we will be in the basketball facilities from 4:30-10:00 PM. Dinner, meeting with coaches, training room, stretching, and practice. This will be interesting.

Time for lunch! Gotta run!

O&O!

M

P.S. Sooo this morning's workout was kind of fun--Ben Afleck was working out four weightlifting racks away from me, in between different teammates of mine. Ha :) there were some priceless facial expressions! Love to all!!

P.P.S. I did not technically actually get an F on any papers or tests (...yet! oh I hope not at all, but anyway), but I will admit I did do extremely poorly on my first midterm exam. They aren't kidding when they say not to cram the night before. Not kidding at all. ;) Have a wonderful weekend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First of all, I was totally going to ask if you failed something. lol Good to know you didn't.

Secondly, Ben Affleck? Seriously? That's cool. Why didn't you take a pic? Geeze! Some of us midwesterners have never seen a famous person!