Sunday, October 28, 2012

Hurricane Sandy With a Side of Blessings

How is it already the end of October? So much for my goal of being more timely with my updates. As I sit by the fireplace at my aunt and uncle's house on the eve of my 22nd birthday, I figure now is as good a time as any to do a bit of reflecting on the last two months that have gone by.

School - My classes this semester include some "have-tos" which can often mean some teeth-pullers. I also decided to go more for the schedule flexibility fit rather than the what really interests me route. All that to say, I'm sure I am learning some valuable life knowledge...somewhere...surely. But I think I'm also getting gray hair as a result. Chinese Philosophy, Inequality in the Workplace, Sociology of Organizations, and the American Presidency. All of the work came crunched in to the last two weeks with midterms and papers stacking up all at once. And looking ahead, my final exams go for three mornings in a row near the end of exam period. Could be worse. I just know that next semester I'm planning on making some better choices.

Friends - I am blessed with some incredible friends and family in my life. This semester has over and over again reminded me of that fact. These past few weeks have really humbled me to the point where I have felt extremely weak. And that is just when God walks in and says, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." (2 Corinthians 12:9a) What is his "power" in a tangible sense? I don't have the perfect theological answer, but I know this. It's not by my power that my birthmom chose to keep me. It's not by my power that I was placed in a loving home with two unbelievable parents. It's not by my power that I have connected with people through basketball that have helped me to be where I am today. It's not by my power that I have been so abundantly blessed with teachers and school staff that have loved and supported me as a person, challenging me to go after my goals and helping to pick me up when I fall. And it's not by my power that I have reconnected with my birthmom's family up and down the east coast and across the nation.

So if it's not by my power...

The Hawkeye was incredibly thoughtful in putting together a piece about my senior year in their sports section. At first I was frustrated by what I viewed as a misquote: "I am one of God's miracles". I did not like how I perceived that sentence coming off and also did not think I actually said it. But then, in an inverse way I guess, I suddenly felt very humbled: I definitely haven't come this far on my own and would never claim to have done so--LIFE is God's miracle. For anyone. To have friends and family who have helped me to see God at work both in extremely difficult times such as loss and death and during times of great success and joy...that's a miracle. Quote.

Basketball - It's almost tip off time!! We open the season with a road trip to North Dakota. November 9th we play North Dakota State, followed up with a game against University of North Dakota. Then November 16th we have our home opener against Brigham Young University. Keeping everyone healthy and strong, and continuing the drive to become better each day--that is how the past few weeks have gone. We had our first scrimmage yesterday against Hartford and this week we will focus on working out some kinks. Our focus? Defense and rebounding. This will be an historical season for Harvard Women's Basketball. Promise.

Life - Love on those around you. Especially the elderly ones who have been there for the long haul. We lost a dear uncle back home two weeks ago and another dear elderly loved one of mine is not faring very well. Both of those individuals always spoke into my life such comfort, wisdom, and joy. May their families be blessed and comforted, and may we all remember to get perspective on the things that really matter in this world.

Also, shout out to the West Central Middle School Boy's Baseball team for winning 2nd Place in State!!! Awesome job boys!! And a huge congrats to West Central HS Football for making it to the playoffs!! So proud to see our school repping well :)

Flash bulb memories: Ropes course outing. Laying by the river. Football game stomach painting. Volleyball game supporting. IM flag football reffing. City pasta and cannoli runs. Laughing with my friends. Movie nights. Rhinebeck trips. Dance parties. Magnet tile building. Fruit basket chowing. Playground time. Dodgeball. Dhall chats. Late night skyline firework displays.


God is good. All the time. Good times, tough times, clear times, confusing times. His power. His grace.

May the Lord bless you and keep you, and give you strength.

O&O,

M

P.S. I'll keep you posted on whether or not Hurricane Sandy actually hits us or not. Last year, Miss Irene was just a tease for the actual city of Boston. Prayers for the east coast residents as we deal with power outages and poor traveling conditions!

No comments: