
I think all of the upperclassmen have moved in. Now there is a whole new, what might be called energy to the campus. I was feeling pretty hectic and confused Friday afternoon, but yesterday really wasn't too bad, and today I have eaten breakfast, almost finished laundry, and just have to find where to get the toilet paper for our room :). Not too bad.
This afternoon I am going to an InterVarsity open house dealio which should be helpful in connecting me with other Christians. I am looking forward to that. There is also a lawn party this afternoon as one of the freshmen activities, but I am pretty sure we are going to start open gyms today so I will probably miss that.
Tonight looks relatively free, except for a mandatory session we have to attend. It has been interesting to watch and observe people and how they act, both in groups and as individuals. My teammate Victoria (CA) and I had a long discussion last night as we walked to the cheesy but packed "First Chance Dance" with the rest of our bbgs (freshie women's basketball players). Our topic was: what is awkwardness and how does it affect people while they are in a group or hanging out by themselves or unwilling to join in? It was a pretty interesting chat and kept us entertained throughout the night as we watched.
It was interesting--over breakfast today I sat with a guy who mentioned how he had come from a very sheltered background in Orange County, CA, and thought that Harvy was probably more similar to it's Puritan roots then what is truly the case. Last night, being a Saturday night, was what most people would think it was. For me, for accountability reasons I will share this publicly--I do not intend to drink in all four years here. The compelling journey will be how that works out. I know of one person already that bet me last night I will have drank by the end of my freshmen year... I guess I will say that more so than just thinking it's not worth it, in some ways it has become a sort of game. I have many reasons for why I will personally not choose to drink, the dominant one being I lost my brother in a drunk driving accident, and so far, as long as I don't make other people feel uncomfortable about it and as long as I am carrying my handy dandy bottle of water, it has definitely not been an issue. I have a feeling the issues will arise not in the participation of the activity itself but rather in deciding whether or not I really want to be hanging around at 2 A.M. at a place where that is going on when I would much rather be in bed dreaming about cruising at 60 mph down my road in the middle of nowhere with nothing but the sound of the friendly silence of Goldie, my car, unless of course Freddy the dashboard clicker is at it again. Anyway, difficult subject, but one I know I am going to have to face. I won't write much about it due to little eyes, but I did want to address it because I would never want anyone to grow up or live in a way in which they felt, "well at some point in my life I am going to have to drink". I don't believe so, but I also realize it is going to take a lot of work to accomplish the opposite of that.
So! I will be off. My laundry will be done soon and I will have clothes to fold :). Today should be a fun day. Happy Sunday to all and enjoy the beautiful last two days of August!!!!!!
O&O
2 comments:
Miriam, I really liked this blog you put on today. You are right to express your opinion that you do not want to drink. Just be careful that no one tries to slip you a drink. Good luck with open gyms and classes.
Frank Chris and Frankie
Hey Miriam,
It's good to hear that you are doing well! You are in my prayers!! Talk to you soon.
Post a Comment