It is truly one of the best kinds of happy to see all of the rejoicing and smiles and positivity surrounding the Cubs World Series victory. Way to go Cubbies--you made a whole nation smile with that W.
On the other side of the world, I was glued to the live game updates on a beautiful Thursday morning in Singapore, thankful for wifi and the patience of my gracious hosts. When the rain delay went into effect, it was time to walk away and head to lunch and an afternoon of sightseeing (how thankful I was at the end of the day to come home to victorious updates!). Our first stop was Bedok Interchange Hawker Central, a recently remodeled incredible food market with a million different kinds of food, all very inexpensive and amazing. Because Singapore is a former British colony, the dominant unifying and spoken language is English, although Tamil (Indian), Malay, and Mandarin (Chinese) are also listed as official languages and can be seen throughout the city. My friend Amanda is fluent in Mandarin and while I could often read and understand plenty to communicate during our tourist day it made all the difference having her there to lead the way. In the last 24 hours I have eaten my way through five countries (and lived to tell about it! Which says a lot for me who typically doesn't experiment outside my comfort zone of foods): Singapore, Malaysia, India, Japan, and China. I have eaten all sorts of meat, including venison and an unknown fish. Even had lamb gravy with the Indian naan (hopefully my friend doesn't get tired of me asking about all the names of these foods the next few days!).
After our lunch stop we left the Bedok Reservoir area and headed toward downtown to see the SuperTrees at the Garden by the Bay. The Marina Sands hotel overlooks downtown on one side and this incredible garden on the other, all from a boat shaped, curved building with a rooftop infinity pool. Not. Too. Shabby. Singapore is the one and only city-state and it only takes about two hours to travel the length of it by train. The subways are all clean and air-conditioned, as is practically the entire city. Two of many ways Singapore is different from its neighboring countries is an intentionality to make it a city within a garden (one of its nicknames is the Garden City) and to have plenty of air conditioning, whether in the transportation systems, workplaces, public spaces, etc. Considering its November and temperatures are in the 70s which is pretty cool for this time of year, I am immensely enjoying the ease of commute around the city.
I am thankful I arrived in SEA in time to come here for a visit. Yes the food and sights are amazing, but far more impressive are the individuals that are a second family to my friend. Gracious and kind hosts, their knowledge of food, culture, music, and Biblical theology is astounding. I can totally understand why this home has become an oasis for my friend while she was living as a missionary in China. I am made aware of my own training wheels in biblical doctrine and apologetics, and abundantly thankful for grace and the relationship with Christ that supersedes my ignorance, but does not excuse it.
So to tie it all up this Friday morning, I leave you with a quote from the 2016 World Series MVP, Ben Zobrist, who boldly stands in his faith.
“The biggest thing is, I’m still learning,” said Zobrist. “I still have a lot to learn about what the love of Christ is like – that it's not just knowledge ... but it's allowing the truth to change you – allowing Christ's message of grace and hope and love through the cross, that that message is the message that changes the way we look at everything in our lives."
I can agree with that statement and I can also see more and more the importance of knowing how to handle properly and effectively the Sword in our daily battles through a knowledge and understanding of Biblical Truth.
“Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,”
Ephesians 6:10-18 ESV
Tomorrow we head off to Thailand, and in ten days I will be back in Blandinsville, Illinois countryside...may the learning process continue,
M
No comments:
Post a Comment