Week 1 - Vacation Bible School in the Bronx, NYC
Week 2 - News Release Basketball Camp in Lorrach, GER
Week 3 - Black Forest Academy (southwestern Germany)
Week 4 - London, Oxford, Edinburgh, Scotland, Southern Europe
Week 5 - Southern Europe, Tokyo
Week 6 - Tokyo, Hong Kong
Week 7 - Los Angeles
Chapter 4
(Written the night before I head off on 6:30am flight from Tokyo to Hong Kong)
Words haven't come very easily for this blog post and that's been the case for nearly a week. I guess I should rewind. One minute I was contemplating my travel route through Italy, the next I had decided to stay put in Nice for another day or two instead of making my way by train through my long time favorite country, only to find out on my travel date that an earthquake had sent shivers through the landscape potentially making my late decision one of those "good looking out God" moments. With a 5am wake up call to the airport from the family home in Nice on August 24, I took a short flight to Naples where I had the day to explore. Based on travel tips and advice from friends, I spent the entirety of my time on the island of Capri. WOWOWOWOW. Great advice to follow. Backpack and tote bag in hand, I hill climbed across the island in order to see some of the most spectacular views I have ever beheld in my life. Words can't describe it, but if you ever get the chance, the ferry ride and ticket cost are beyond worth it. And yes, I had the pizza--it was delicious just like they say.
One moment from Capri that I will always remember, but not captured on film, was during my trek through the alley-like walkways of the city. A few wrong turns here and there but I was finally on the right track to get to my destination. As the end neared, I bobbed and weaved through a particularly tight and busy part of the city, this part wonderfully downhill. My attention was caught by two boys kicking a soccer ball up the very narrow tile covered pathway. They looked to be about 10-12 years old and thoroughly entertained by their activity. When the ball rolled in front of me, I did what any kid would do...I played keep away. Kick left, kick right, stop the ball, roll it backwards--my glory moment lasted for all but five seconds, when all the sudden this future futbol star realized this was his moment. He faked left then right, did a spin on the ball, shaded one way, and with one deft movement the ball was smoothly sailing past me to his teammate. For the first time, I made eye contact, shrugged, smiled, and said, "Goal". The moment froze for a beat. Then he blinked, looked straight up to the heavens, and threw his fist in the air with a rib shaking victory cry and head toss. DAY MADE. For both of us, as he spun around tossing grins to onlookers and went about his way. That's what the beautiful things in life are made of as I have paved pathways on this crazy lap around the world--the very smallest of human connections beyond words.
Fast forward past a ten hour flight and three and a half movies on Turkish Airlines (including a layover in Istanbul, which was fine, culturally hard to interpret and comprehend, but all fine) to the other side of the world: Tokyo. Hallelujah for friends! My Harvard teammate had spent almost two years living in Tokyo where her Harvard boyfriend played professional American football for a Tokyo company team. While she had since returned to San Francisco for graduate school, Gino still was playing in the area and getting ready for his first game. The kind soul has spent the entire week making sure I didn't get lost in the incredibly busy and confusing city bustle. From someone who feels comfortable in New York City, that is saying a lot. I tried as hard as I could to not let jet lag win any battles...unfortunately Tokyo time zone did not have defeat on its agenda. The first night/day I slept nearly 16 hours, the second night/day around 14 hours. Last night, I grounded myself to an 11pm bedtime...and woke up ready to roll at...4:30am. Jet Leg 1 - Team Meems 0.
Moments of sanity occurred throughout my time here and for that I am incredibly thankful for a camera to capture the moments. The subways were often PACKED and nearly completely silent, despite no one wearing headphones. The common characteristic was still a cell phone in hand, but rather than texting, it was always reading, or more often than not, people playing Pokemon Go. EVERYWHERE. Gino was all about it too. Whole mobs of people would go to parks and hang out catching pokemon in complete silence. Having not sat still long enough to partake or even be around this phenomenon yet, I was baffled and highly amused.
Gino played his first football game of the season on Sunday--a star running back and 2012 Harvard graduate, he represented very well in the victory. Most teams can have a maximum of four American players and his team had a solid line up from the good old US of A. Gino-Harvard, running back, Defensive Back-U of San Diego, Quarterback-Louisiana Tech, Linebacker-New Mexico State. The Fujitsu Frontiers is the team name, red, black and white are their colors. Fans stayed loyal despite the ever present rain throughout the game. Minor detail on my scheduling part--it's typhoon season. Yay for umbrellas.
Well friends, my words aren't flowing quite as smoothly tonight. So rather than continue and try to put images to the page, I will simply call it a night. 3am will be here before I know it. Taxi to the airport, check in, 4.5 hour flight to Hong Kong for two days and then Los Angeles by Friday. Whoa. Lord have mercy.
Oooohhh I am so excited for some of my favorite clothes when I get back home! But honestly, for living out of a book bag this long...it hasn't been too bad. Probably because the people are constantly changing so no one really knows how often I have worn the same outfit...other than the photo evidence :)
Peace, love, and blessings!
M
No comments:
Post a Comment