Tuesday, July 22, 2014

NRB Tour 2014 - Day **10**: Nice, France

How in the world did that happen?? Ten days, camp in Croatia finished, at the halfway mark for the camp in Nice, and I've only written one blog post. Yikes, sorry...especially to my lovely Grandma ;). I know you love these. My apologies.

Three Highlights from Slavonski Brod:
1. The people - as a returning coach, I knew many of the people I was working with while in SB which made it much easier to really dig in and have relational meaningful conversations. It was especially encouraging to work alongside the Bless team leaders Gemma and Chez Cherry again, while staying with Pastor Darko and his family. Their sharing loving community rooted in prayer, worship time, fellowship, and time for rest, is truly a blessing to all of those who are around--in the neighborhood, at camp, at the pool, and in the home.

2. The new church building!! Pastor Darko's church, a Baptist denomination that met in a small room ten years ago, has been blessed with ongoing funding and support to build their own church! It was so great to have our talent show party there with all of the kids, singing, dancing, and "fellowshipping" on the rooftop of the new church. God continues to use that church in amazing ways and I am excited to see growth come in the number of people as the building size increases!

3. Prayer walks with Jason. Jason is a young man on the Bless team who I at first thought I would never be able to get along with--he was loud, he was rather annoying, and he brushed social graces right out the door. Jason ended up having the most profound impact on my perspective this trip. In the mornings I would walk with him--at first this was my civic duty, "Ok Jason, let's go!", as I nodded to another group member signaling them to relax and enjoy the quiet for a bit. And yet as we walked, I was absolutely astonished. His prayers were so real, so filled with a genuine love and heart for these kids and the city, and exemplified the beauty of a personal line of communication to God so vividly--that we can pray to Him and know He hears our prayers. It was beautiful! And the more mornings we walked, the more Jason's love for God and love for others flipped my perspective. He could still be loud, he could still be annoying--and don't worry ;) he and I talked about the social grace aspect of relational living, especially with a group that large in a rather small area!--but above all of that he LOVED others. A very sincere "thank you" to Jason for helping to open my eyes a little bit more to the complexity of how God works through others!

-------
I would like to add here a post from my facebook page--so if you have already read this, feel free to skip down to the pictures!! :)
Written July 21, 2014

This weekend has been a unique mix of super touristy activities and really meeting and dialoguing with people about Christ and my relationship with Him. Cassie Bates, it's actually your fault --about to board the bus in Slavonski Brod and leave the team there, Cassie said to me, "Now get on that bus and keep on sharing about Jesus" to which I said something quipy along the lines of how about not and I'll just sleep. First person I sit by, Paulo, was super curious about why I was in SB, what the News Release Program was about, and gladly accepted the bracelet that illustrates the Gospel of Christ. Next was the bus driver, Marion, who had been quite cranky just a week before but after I gave him a Jesus bracelet and chatted with him at the airport he was like a new granddad . Then came the super helpful Econ/political/mediator guy, Louis, who saved me tons of time and money and helped me out with my tour of Vienna. He also loved the bracelet and mentioned how he just would never be able to show it to his family. Hm. Then there were the three lovely ladies on the train, Carmen, Christina, and Caroline, who chatted away with me about my trip and purpose. And that was just yesterday! And I ran out of bracelets. So much for God letting me slack off haha. Add in the Canadian students who I chatted away with today and the little girl, Gabrielle, who is my new best buddy in Nice and I am in awe: different part of the world, different language, different culture, and yet just the simple act of sharing a smile and showing genuine love can open so many doors to wonderful meaningful conversation.

It is also so encouraging to not just be bopping in and out short term, but to be working in tandem with local teams and churches to help build them up and encourage them in their ministry. (Here in Nice I am on a coaches' tour with Mike Mai-his 11th Nice tour-and Troy--in the picture.) As I told the kids in SB the last day of camp, I may only be here for a moment, WE may only be together for a moment, but in that moment I can introduce you to One who will NEVER leave you nor forsake you and LOVES you so much right where you are, where you have been, and where you will be in the future. That is a relationship that lasts even beyond this lifetime.

There's my mini blog for the night--considering Grandma doesn't have Facebook, a longer real blog update is coming soon to recap the past week in Croatia (otherwise I may get booted from the family haha) [P.s. that is still to come!]. Thank you SO MUCH to those who have joined my team with their support (and if you haven't joined yet, you still can!! At www.nrbasketball.org/support)--News Release is truly making a relational difference that lasts beyond the basketball camp and beyond just the week of face to face interaction. An extra special note of love to the Bless team and the young girls and guys who attended or have attended camp in Slavonski Brod--you are ALL DEARLY LOVED. And to the News Release Women's tour led by Joya Whittington--sending up prayers for you as you head to training camp soon! Cannot wait to see you all in Lorrach!! Marian Zámbó and Co. will take great care of us there and the kids are awesome :), right Ronja Gaulinger?? Here's to another fantastic week of camp!!!

-----------
Here are a few photos from Croatia and a few photos from France! Next week I have three days between tour trips to fill--that part of the trip will be totally on my own spending don't worry ;)--and then I will be off to Lorrach, Germany for my last week of camp. There is some exciting news to share regarding why I will be unable to continue on with the Belgium part of the tour, but I will have to save that news until August! I promise you that it is good news ;). Big day at camp tomorrow where we will really try to explain the Gospel. I have never felt quite so intimidated in the sense that I feel this group is pretty jaded--God does not mean much to the people of France...or really in Europe. That sounds a bit crazy, but check out some of these statistics-based articles (for those of you who enjoy number crunching--Mom and Dad, I'm looking at you!)...

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/culture-lifestyle/world-religion/130602/europe-church-mosque-christianity-islam-religious-crisis

http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2012/10/statistics-round-up--religion-in-decline-around-europe-and-usa

***really well written*** http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/world/2005-08-10-europe-religion-cover_x.htm

That being said, your prayers are greatly appreciated. The pictures of Nice are incredibly beautiful, and I am very thankful and appreciative of the opportunity to be here...but that spiritual depravity is TANGIBLE and that is a scary thing. So lift up this city. Lift up this tour--we are presenting the Gospel to children who may be the third generation of their family to have turned away from God. What is hope, what is redemption, what is purpose in a world were this life is all you have? All you live for is pleasure and temporary satisfaction. There is nothing the fills that void no matter how hard we try. To be known, to be loved unconditionally, to be SAVED from that emptiness--that is the beauty of the love of Christ. To turn away from these temporary fixes and commit to following our Maker. How to communicate that joy and peace and hope and life and freedom to a kid that is 8 years old and speaks French in a 20 minute talk? Impossible. UNLESS, we are relying on what God has in place. This may be a "forgotten continent", but by people, not by God. He is doing more at work here than we could ever imagine...I need to pray for open eyes, open ears, and an open heart to have my perspective enhanced yet again. May that be my constant prayer.

Love to you all! :) May the Lord bless you and keep you and give you peace! Aaaaaamen!

O&O,

M

P.s. Click on the photo to enlarge it.

Coaches' Tour: Slavonski Brod, Croatia. Cassie Bates and I.

The Bless team led by Chez and Gemma Cherry (red shirt and pink shirt). Comprised of young adults ranging in age from 17 -23 (Chez and Gemma are older but I won't disclose their ages haha). Based out of Bethanie, France but team members mostly from the UK (we had a Welsh member and a Scottish member).




Zvone. He is awesome :). Super helpful and a great kid all around!

Not too shabby ;) Nice, France.

Coaches' Tour, Nice, France. Mike Mai, Troy, and I (gotta love my hair...)

Fun Canadian students I met blowing bubbles in the streets of Nice :)

Mike talking to the campers at basketball camp in Nice.

No comments: