Wednesday, October 19, 2011

HOME TOURNAMENT!!!

It's getting closer!!! I am so excited to play at the University of Iowa I can barely stand it! But what a crazy weekend it will be: parents' weekend, Iowa vs. Michigan football game, and the women's basketball tournament. As for hotels and parking spaces? I promise I will be extremely appreciative of your effort and that the enjoyment of meeting my team will be well worth the hassle!

SATURDAY, NOV 12, GAME TIME TBA (potentially 2, 4, or 7PM) vs. IOWA
SUNDAY, NOV 13, NOON 12 PM vs. UNLV/BUTLER
at the University of Iowa Carver Arena facilities

"HWBB 2011-2012 #1 FANS/#25" shirts are available for order by contacting Goff’s Screen Printing via phone: (319) 850-0776 or email: dickiegoff@frontiernet.net.

In other news, the year is flying by. I can't believe it is already mid-way through October. Between tests, papers, trips home/off campus, and basketball, there has been just enough time to run around and enjoy the college atmosphere of football, soccer, dinner with friends, and exploring Boston. This year's basketball squad is such a great group. I have been so blessed with my teammates at Harvard every year. I am so thrilled to have the opportunity to introduce my home family and my Harv family in just a few weeks :). (For a head start on introductions though, you can check out our team promo video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmiVjDBEkDc  ) The closeness, chemistry, and team atmosphere makes for a great environment to work hard, conquer difficulties, and looking towards the future, finish with the W.

This semester of school has brought an interesting angle of thought due to my focus shifting from a psychology heavy course-load to more of a sociology oriented schedule. Especially interesting is my class on "Class and Culture". Learning about the various levels of class stratification and how those labels play a role in our own lives and in the lives of those around us has really caused my eyes to be opened to various situations. Especially in today's economy some questions come to mind concerning my income goals and career aspirations, and what steps I need to take now in order to reach those. At the same time, how does my Jesus Christ-believing worldview contradict or support various plans I may consider? 

On that note, continued prayer would be sincerely appreciated as those of us who felt called on a missions trip to Cameroon for next summer really begin to feel the effects of the economy on our ability to raise support. Our long term goal per person is $4000 by the beginning of June 2012. Our more pressing goal is the first $2500 needed to purchase the plane tickets for there and back. Various fundraising projects have been undertaken by individuals, including fundraising letters, yard sales, and selling various goods. Financial support is greatly appreciated. (Donations can be sent to: Rozetta Baptist Church, R.R. 1 Box 69, Little York, IL 61453) But even more so, continued prayers can work wonders. 

Amazing that now as a junior I feel like the weeks are slipping right through my fingers. A few more weeks and we are in Iowa, a few more after that and we are in Minnesota, a few more and I am home for Christmas, a few more and we play in Texas, then a few more and my parent's come out for a visit! By that time we will be fighting for the Ivy League Championship and setting our sights on going to the NCAA tournament. Once that ends, practically a "few" more weeks until junior year becomes just another checked off item on the list! So my goal? To enjoy these days. What an awesome opportunity and blessing it is to be here and to be around this group of people every day! This is quite the journey. Who knows what lies ahead, the ups and downs that may come, but I know one thing for sure:

"11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. " Jeremiah 29:11

Have a wonderful rest of the month and (if at all possible) I look forward to seeing you in November!! Take care and God bless!

O&O,

M

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I Love You and miss you! :)
-Kristin