Thursday, March 17, 2011

SPRING!!!!!

Yay! Finally! Hallelujah!! Sunshine! WARM sunshine!! And blossoms!! And green grass!! Oh Happy Day!!

Sorry for the delay in checking in. It's been a bit of a roller coaster these past few weeks. I'll try to keep it simple :). Try. Haha.

BASKETBALL:
Bummer. We dropped four Ivy games total: Yale 2x, Brown, and Princeton. We lost to Yale on our Senior Night and then the following Tuesday beat Dartmouth at their place to end our season. Because we lost to Yale both times, even though we were tied for 2nd, they advanced to the WNIT and Princeton advanced to the NCAA (we were their only Ivy loss). Now we are losing four seniors: Claire, Jackie, Christine, and Emma. They will all be truly missed. We have had off for almost two weeks, then we will have a team meeting this Tuesday to discuss the future.


SCHOOL:
Midterms? ...Survived. I suppose. I really missed being able to draw and color diagrams and study tools. I also prioritized basketball and teammates over studying. Good idea? I'm ok with it. I had to take all of my tests on a laptop, including one for British Empire that was at the front of the lecture hall at a table on a platform facing all the other 200+ kids taking their test. Coooool. Haha--all I could do was chuckle and think about psych studies dealing with performance in group/evaluative situations. (Still haven't gotten that score back--I'm curious to see if I follow the trend of doing well in front of a group when I knew the material or not so much.) Classes are going generally well in the sense that I am learning new and interesting skills and information. My favorite class is British Empire--I am learning so much that I never really understood before that adds clarity to what I think about the world. Very interesting. The next two months include a social psych project on touching and shooting free throws successfully or not (doing my own study, research, and 15-page paper), conducting another study for research methods on facial analysis (more trustworthy? whole face vs. covered eyes vs. covered mouth--also will include a big old paper at the end), two midterms and three other papers. Fun, fun, fun. But not too bad :).


LIFE:
Bad news-not playing in the post-season. Bright side? Off to visit friends and family! Because we didn't know if we would be playing or not until last Tuesday, it was too late to reasonably purchase a plane ticket home, especially since I will be back in two months. Instead I embarked on a little train adventure down to Washington, D.C. to hang out with my Uncle John and Aunt Marg and their four kids. Currently I am at Panera Bread working with Uncle John and getting very excited for the 75 degree weather tomorrow!!! It still always fascinates me when I stop to think about it--here I am sitting across from a relative that is soooooo much like me (or that I am sooo like) and I have only known him for two years. Crazy. Genetics? Nature versus nurture? Culture? Background? History? Future? Uncle J thinks I would be a pretty interesting case study. And there is still so much more to explore...I wonder, I wonder.


The hand is doing amazingly better! Very little soreness or pain. I played in the last three games of the season with a reduced padded splint/cast taped to my hand. I remember the night after my doctor's appointment when we cut down the splint and I could finally shoot. What a ride. You know though? What could have been a very negative, frustrating, and depressing situation, God really used for good. I feel like I learned a lot. About myself, about being injured, and about how to handle different situations. The crazy part of me kind of got a kick out of learning to do everything with my left hand. I was OVERJOYED when I could finally do my own hair again. I just love my little pony tail so very much ;). And when I could brush my teeth with my right hand....ahhh that was so nice haha. It is still not completely healed--for instance if I were to pinch someone for not wearing green today I might scream, but otherwise, as long as I am careful I keep it pretty protected.

SUMMER:
Reaching for the S.T.A.R.S. Basketball Academy is in the works!! I am hoping to have that on its way by the beginning of next week! I am excited to start connecting with new and old friends and clients as I set that up again. This summer is going to be a very Henderson County oriented summer--and I am totally okay with that. Because I have a feeling next summer...might not be so much. Just for some teasers that are floating around: Italy, Cameroon, Boston, Colorado...Just some thoughts. I definitely will come home for a little bit next round, but I have a feeling it might be a bit of an adventure as well.

Otherwise the summer can be characterized by golf, camping, baseball and softball games, training, swimming, playing, Vacation Bible School, mission trip to our backyards, running, planning, growing, learning, ENJOYING.
Which brings me to

THE END:
Enjoy. That is the game plan, the go-to word, the mantra for the next two months. ENJOY this time, ENJOY this opportunity, ENJOY the atmosphere, the people, the thrill, the excitement, the difficulties, the triumphs, the failures. ENJOY them all and don't take for granted a single day. Can I do that? :) Let's hope so.

So You, enjoy my friends--have an absolutely wonderful and fantastic spring! I will check in again soon. Until then, much love, take care, and God bless!
O&O,

M

P.S. Yay for Showcase Night 2011!!!! So proud of Stu Co and WCHS in general for pulling it off again! Wish I could have been there, but the rents gave an EXCELLENT report. Cheers!!

P.P.S. Here are the Riordan boys looking out for me after their Civil Air Patrol event (Cameron on the left, Ewen on the right):

No comments: