Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Checking In

My last post was written from Cameroon...was that ever a lifetime ago. Since March I have attended the Women's Basketball 2017 Final Four in Dallas, TX (how about that upset game by Mississippi State over UConn?!!), spent a month job shadowing my uncle in Washington, D.C. in the leadership consulting world, returned home in May to substitute teach, and then led basketball camps and gave lessons throughout June. My parents and I kicked off July by celebrating Canada's 150th birthday with a road trip covering 5,300 miles, five provinces, seven states, seven national parks, and nine out of the fourteen nights tent camping. The last few weeks have included the Henderson County Fair, training a couple of kids, and me grappling around to come to terms with the fact that this incredible year of travel has ended...

What. A. Year.

So, now what?

I start packing again. On August 24th I will begin my new position as a graduate assistant for the women's basketball team at Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia. A Division I institution, Liberty plays in the Big South Conference, a new area of the country for me to explore (North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, etc). While there, I will be pursuing my Master's degree in Industrial/Organizational Psychology which often complements work in the field of leadership development, executive coaching, and organizational consulting. As a graduate assistant I will be helping with many behind the scenes facets of running a basketball program including social media broadcasting, practice set up and execution, and really wherever I am needed to plug in and help out. I am excited to again be joining a basketball family and I am looking forward to what these next two years will hold.

For the next nine days I will slowly but surely figure out this packing business (a whole car full is very different than a backpack full!) and will soak in these Illinois summer days with friends and family. This is, and always will be, Home Base and how thankful I am for that.

Peace and blessings,

M

No comments: