Monday, July 1, 2013

Summer Update #1

Thank you to everyone who made it over for my graduation open house at the Raritan Opera House. It was a lovely time seeing familiar faces, some that I have not seen in a while. My AAU coach who really made it possible for me to play at the college level even came down with his family for a visit! After that lovely Saturday evening, the next day Mom drove me to the airport where I boarded a plane headed west...off to Boulder, Colorado I went!

Working with my former Harvard assistant coach, I joined the hard-working troops in running basketball camps at the University of Colorado. As a camp counselor I had the wonderful opportunity to work with a wide variety of ages and talent. My team during the four-day individual camp was full of wonderful girls that loved to have fun while also competing. During the Elite Camp I had the phenomenal chance to work with some of the best players interested in CU. We had a blast to say the least! During my third week out here I helped coach the Little Dribblers for the men's camp. These six and a half year olds were a complete riot :). Four days of coaching them every morning was EXHAUSTING but so fun.

Two other major lines of activity also took place during those three weeks. First, fundraising letters for my missions trip to Croatia and Germany with News Release Basketball needed to be sent out. You can read more about it on the Harvard Women's Basketball website or on the News Release Basketball website (see below this paragraph). The total cost of the trip is $2900 and we depart for Croatia July 12th--only 11 days from now!!





The second project was lining up the proper steps to pursue my dream of playing professional basketball overseas. After much research and discussion, I finally officially signed with a top agent out of Germany. Her number one piece of advice to me: BE IN SHAPE! So the past month, if I haven't been coaching, I have been training in some lovely mountain air. The CU girls allowed my friend Katie, a Montana State graduate and pro ball player who played in Amsterdam last year, and I to play pick up with them. The first couple of times I thought my heart was going to fly right out of my chest!

After and around all of that our ever-changing crew squeezed in a bit of fun :). Our latest adventure was our best: a ten mile hike up to Lake Odessa in Rocky Mountain National Park. We battled hail, rain, lightening, thunder, and snow to make it to one of the most amazing places I have ever seen. It is hard to believe that tomorrow I will board a train headed back to Illinois. I'm scared to look up the temperatures for the week ahead! 

Once home it will be a ten day whirlwind: Despicable Me 2 with "my" boys, Raritan Fireworks, Historical Society 4th of July Luncheon, a visit to Springfield to see a dear friend, and then four days of my basketball lessons that I usually do all throughout the month of July.

Time flies when you are having fun they say, and whew...it has been quite the ride so far! Prayers appreciated as I embark on these various adventures! I couldn't do this without all of the support and love from my hometown, friends, and family!!

O&O,

M




No comments: