Thursday, January 19, 2012

Still Smiling?

Non-conference play ended on a sour note this past Tuesday night with a home game loss to North Dakota 60-57. We had played an ugly game at Dartmouth over the weekend despite pulling out the win to start off conference play, but Tuesday, we did not get off as easily.

If struggles, hardships, and losses are the moments that provide the best learning opportunities, than this season has provided plenty of avenues of learning. Whatever the circumstance, there have been ups and downs along the way, and I suppose in some ways that is natural. But that does not mean it is any less frustrating. Today a friend offered a basic reminder in the form of a closing remark to a conversation, "I just wanted to check in and make sure you were still smiling..."

Yes. Yes I am. Even though some days are a little harder than others, and even though right now I feel like I am in the middle of a tough "life season", much less basketball season, I know that this truly is just a season...I could write all of those old cliches and catchy sayings here, but I will leave those to your own imagination and keep it simple. We have ten days until we dive full on into conference play (starting off with Yale/Brown at home). Ten days to work our mindsets in such a way so that we use the trials and windsprints, wins and losses, ups and downs, to our advantage. Ten days to relax and PLAY the GAME, and have FUN while doing it.

Why do I love basketball? Because I get to run all over the place and not in circles. I can pass to teammates and help them to score. I can nail a shot from the top of the key or a nice little lay up. I can stuff someone in the post, grab a steal, or tip a pass. We can use strategy to counter the other team's offense or defense, and at the end of forty minutes one team walks away victorious while the other heads back to the gym for another practice. But the best part about basketball? There is ALWAYS an aspect of the game that I can get better at--the hardest thing about basketball? There is ALWAYS an aspect of the game that needs work :).

Often the catchphrase, "Get back to the basics" is used to refer to getting back to fundamental skills like taking care of the ball, shooting with proper form, or making good passes. At this point in basketball, those are all good things to keep in mind, but today, right now, for me, getting back to the basics needs to mean playing to play and to enjoy the sport that I love so much. Many teams have it far worse, many have it far better, but today when I walk out onto the court to practice, am I going to get better as a player? Am I going to have fun playing with my team? Am I going to encourage others, and make the running manageable rather than torture?

Am I going to still smile?

Yes. Yes I am.

UnseenEternalFortressTrustStrengthChristtheCrossPressOnTowardtheGoalHeavenwardBlessedWearyHopeSoarRunGrowSetAnExampleNotaSpiritofTimidityButOfPowerLoveandSelfDisplinePlansaFutureGoodNotDisasterAllThingsThroughChristLOVED

May the peace of Christ rule in your hearts today and in the days ahead.

O&O,
M

P.S. School starts Monday! Trying to figure out summer plans. Looks like a shortened version of basketball lessons, some job shadowing in D.C., and some adventures of course. Prayers appreciated! :)

No comments: